Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Adjusting to life in Vincennes

20 Septembre 2007

Today, I did absolutely nothing, which is fine with me, as I’m completely tired most of the time. I’m finding that adjusting to their time clock is more difficult than anticipated. A reasonable person sleeps at night and is up during the day. I seem to have the problem of not being able to sleep throughout most of my night; maybe 3 or 4 hours at the most. It’s not until later in my day that I begin to feel tired and kind of cranky, almost like a little kid needing a nap. But it’s not just my sleeping habits that are affected…it’s also my appetite. I find that I grow very hungry at night and not so much during the day. In act, I’d say I’ve already lost 5 lbs in the time that I’ve been here. Another contribution might be all the walking that I do, when I leave my apartment, that is. Sometimes, I don’t want to leave the security of my own place. It’s about the only thing I’m certain of here. Of all the things I didn’t do, I did purchase housing insurance (l’assurance d’habitation), which is a must here in France. Everyone has to have it for the place where they live, doesn’t matter if it is an apartment or your own house. Céline told me that there was insurance taken out last year by the Spanish assistant who took out the policy and that she (Céline) was going to see about having it put in my name since it appeared to be current until December 31st. This sounded too good to be true, which it was, because apparently the said assistant didn’t pay for it at all. And again, I learn how lucky I am to have Céline as my prof; she shopped around locally for me and found the same insurance for 65€ instead of the 175€ from the former company used. What I also love about it is that I get to charge the new assistant who is coming half the price, even though the policy is only in my name. Having a roommate is a very good thing… Anyway, I went to the insurance company’s office to get my policy and they pretty much had everything ready for me, except all the necessary copies. I eagerly whipped out the correct amount, which shocked the insurance sales lady and her assistant, to which they politely told me to wait, that I wouldn’t have to pay “ce moment” (this instant). In preparing all the documents, they had to access their accounts and apparently, everything they do is though an online corporate-wide system, and it seemed they were having a problem with their connection. The lady asked me if I could return another day and I agreed, letting her choose the day. (It’s not like I had anywhere pressing to be.) I offered her the money up-front, knowing I would not receive anything “in-hand” right away and slightly nervous of the consequences of trusting a complete stranger. I left the office and went back to my place. About an hour and a half later, I decided to go the supermarché to purchase some food for dinner. (One goes to the market almost everyday!) It just so happens that one passes the insurance office on the way to market I frequent, and on my way home, the insurance lady and her assistant practically ran after me, because they notice me walking by and they were able to finish my policy after all! Not only that, but they gave me a 10% discount off my plan as a goodwill and welcome gesture. Little by little, the French and I become a little closer and less like strangers.

2 comments:

Mike Carter said...

I've heard the best thing to do is force yourself to the new schedule - go to bed at night and eat at the normal times, even if smaller amounts. The longer you fight the time difference, the longer you will have to.

Glad you got insurance - a necessary evil - basically betting against yourself (you only win if you lose).

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're adjusting. I love reading all of this. Was the bread good? I miss our restaurant times and sharing appetizers and drinks.

You're doing well and getting out there. Take it slow, sleep when you have to and try to slowly get to a schedule. Probably when you get a regular work schedule you'll feel better too.

Hey, I watched the first part of French Kiss last night and thought of you walking on some of those same streets soon. You'll have to visit George V and bang the bell. :-)