Sunday, November 18, 2007

I Loved This Day!

21 Octobre 2007

Mickel and I actually decided on the same place to visit, Musée d’Orsay, but because we left the house so late and the museum would close in an hour, we decided to just walk around Paris. This museum is not far from the Louvre, so Mickel and I headed in that direction. We took pictures of each other on the bridges over the Seine and then we entered the Jardin des Tuileries, which is a beautiful garden with large fountains and tons of statues. There are lots of green chairs everywhere, kind of like metal adirondack chairs, and people sit all over the park. Some sit alone and read or sleep; others sit with their loved ones or family. There are ice cream vendors as well as a couple of small cafes that featured a special: vin chaud (hot wine). Mickel and I walked throughout the park, until we came across the huge Ferris wheel, called La Grande Roue de Paris. All of the carriages featured rugby teams on them and they were capable of being spun in a horizontal circle. Mickel asked me if I wanted to ride it and of course, I said yes! It was kind of expensive (8€) but sometimes it’s worth it for the entertainment. Mickel and I had to wait 3 times for the wheel to stop, but we were the first ones on during our turn. Our carriage just featured emblems of the rugby world cup and for some reason, I was happy it didn’t feature a specific team. I can’t really explain why. Once Mickel and I were seated, he started spinning the carriage and it kind of freaked me out at first. I’m not afraid of heights, but I like to “get my bearings” the first time I go high on some kind of ride. After awhile, it was like a game to try and stop him spinning it, but of course, he was stronger than me and I had to keep spinning until I asked nicely. I mean, the view was spectacular and I wanted pictures of Paris as the sun was setting. Fortunately, he would turn the carriage so I could take my pictures. After our turn on the Ferris wheel was over, we bought something to eat at the vendors right behind the attraction. I got a hot dog with cheese and unlike the hot dogs in the US, this is a huge hot dog with tons of melted cheese and a bottle of water; Mickel got a salami sandwich and a coffee. It was a great way to spend a later afternoon.

No comments: