Saturday, November 17, 2007

Try To Relax = Make Dinner For Your Friends

5 Octobre 2007

Today, I had no classes to teach, because my teacher (Rozenn Etienne) was sick. I tried to meet up with some of the English profs who were in so that I could talk to them about what exactly they wanted me to do for their classes. They felt like I was freaking out or too worried and they said that they would provide me with prompts or documents to work with. This still didn’t help, especially when I already felt confused from the training the previous day before. One of my teachers’ also made a comment about how I should relax like my roommate because he wasn’t getting “worked up”. What I had to point out to her was that Mickel already received instruction in Costa Rica on how to prep himself for the French classroom. She apologized and said that she would help me in whatever way I needed. I still feel confused on what my actual role is. I want to do a good job and I don’t want to walk away at the end of the year and have the teachers think I did a poor job. I don’t know why but this concerns me. I wish that they could understand that this is just how I function. Liz came over and we went for a walk. I had her and Mickel (during the day before) that I wanted to make dinner for them this evening. While on our walk, I bought some cute little chocolates for dessert from a little chocolatier (chocolate shop) near my home. Later in the evening, Liz, Mickel and I went to the library (again!) to check our emails. While I was there, I had put my keys in my backpack, because entrance to the library is first done through a metal detector. When we were getting ready to go, I started looking though my bag for my keys to put in my pockets. I started to become panicked because I couldn’t find them. I remembered that during my visit that there was a public service announcement, letting people know that pit pockets were functioning in the library and to keep bags off the floor. I kept my backpack on the desk the whole time and didn’t remember anyone coming near me or my bag. Then I thought that maybe one of the security guards who had checked my bag, had maybe knocked the keys out and had them for me. We asked one and he said he had no keys. That’s when I freaked out. I started crying and saying that I was going to have to replace the keys. (And my keys are expensive! 50€ for just the key to the salle des profs/classrooms alone!) After Mickel helped me look through my bag, I found them hidden in a pocket that they had slipped into. I felt SO stupid and idiotic that I got so worked up. I wanted to melt into the floor right then and there. The security guards gave me a hard time (but only in jest). I didn’t feel like I could walk back into the library again. The three of us returned home, where I made dinner (a nice pasta dish with mushrooms and olives, bread, green beans) and dessert (chocolates). At least the dinner was nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your keys were acting JUST like your credit card at Chery'l & Company the day before you left!! Glad they showed up.

I'm loving reading all about your adventures.
-D

Anonymous said...

Anne,
You've really done a great job!!! See you tomorrow or on Friday. Thanks a million
Rozenn