Saturday, November 17, 2007

Questioning The Foreigner.

2 Octobre 2007

I had my first classes today. Pretty much, I just introduced myself and the students were supposed to ask me questions. This is nice because they can be curious and inquisitive about the US and what Americans think about France and the French. I am frequently asked what I think about Nicolas Sarkozy (new French president) or George Bush or Michael Moore and his films or French food. Other questions included: Do I like French guys? Do I have a boyfriend? Am I married? What American sports or sports teams do I like? Have I been to Paris? What do I like in France? Do we have metros where I live? Where do I live in France? What kind of guys do you like? Are you a vegetarian? What are my favorite movies? (French or American?) What do I think about the French? Do Americans like the French? What stereotypes exist in the US about France? Do I plan to travel while I’m here visiting? Why did I want to come to France in the first place? What do I want to become? (career) Do I have to finish studies when I return to the US? Which do I prefer more: France or US? What kind of music do I like? Why did I study so many languages? Do I have any siblings? What do my parents do? Do I have any pets? If it weren’t so amusing, I’d almost feel like I was in front of the Inquisition in smaller groups. I am looking forward to working with these groups. In the evening, I was looking forward to going to the library with Liz and Mickel. But apparently I wouldn’t be going any other Tuesday night, because every Tuesday, they’re closed! The three of us about cried! (I know; we’re that desperate!) We ventured to the McD’s that was just down the street from the library, hoping that we could pick up a signal. Eventually, we got a really weak one and we each bought dinner so that the staff didn’t think we were loitering like the homeless do. Liz and I decided to try and move closer to the library, so that next time, we could determine if sitting next to building would give us a better signal.

No comments: