Saturday, November 17, 2007

See, Going To The Grocery Store Can Be An Adventure...

3 Octobre 2007

Today, Serge made an agreement with Mickel to take us to the grocery store, Carrefour, which apparently has cheaper prices that Monoprix. Go figure that I wouldn’t learn this until later. Of course, I had already made arrangements with Liz to get together before going to the library, so Liz got to come along with us. Serge and I rode in the front, Mickel and Liz in the back. When we got to Carrefour, there is special parking under the building, because the grocery store is located inside a centre commercial (smaller mall). When Serge found his spot, he let us out before he parked and we all noticed a heavy urine smell. Mickel made a joke that we would be able to find the car with our noses. We had to get our grocery carts near the garage and they are taken up large mechanical ramps, like the kind you walk on at the airport. After walking around the grocery store for about an hour, Mickel and I found our things and proceeded to check out. For my things, I paid about 44€, which doesn’t seem like a lot based on how much I purchased, but when converted into dollars, it is very expensive. (Thank goodness I’m getting a good exchange to send money back to the US.) Since Serge’s car isn’t very big, we were kind of worried about how we were going to fit all the food into the car, if we found the car. We ended up wandering around the parking lot for a good 20 mins before we found the car. And of course, it had that horrible pee smell we remembered. I was laughing so hard at everything that everyone else started laughing. Once we were all packed into the car, Serge put on some of his favorite music, which included an American jazz singer he loves. He was singing her songs (in English), so I asked him if he understood the lyrics. He said he understood just a little, but honestly, it was so funny to watch this older man sing! He loves jazz music and loves the fact that I like jazz music too. How sweet. While bringing up the groceries, Serge invited Mickel over to have a beer and Liz and I went to the library so we could check our email. I also had an appointment to meet the family that had asked me to be a babysitter for them. Liz accompanied me on this trip, since I didn’t know the neighborhood too well. Luc and Laurence Porta have two children: Gaël (4.5 yrs) and Maïwenn (2.5 yrs). Luc is fluent in English and would like his children to be also. They have asked me to baby-sit for them from 5:30 until 6:45-7, when Laurence returns from work. My only goal is to help the children practice their English by speaking with them. They are willing to pay me 10€ an hour, which will be a nice addition to my income. They children seem nice and they are glad that I can come up to 4 days a week. I admit I’m kind of scared because sometimes I can’t tell what they are saying but the parents admit that even they can’t tell what the kids say because they are so young and Maïwenn is still learning to speak in French. After a successful appointment, I promise to give them an answer by the end of the weekend and Liz and I return to our homes. When I get back to the apartment, Mickel is still out with Serge. A few minutes later, he comes in and tells me that we are having dinner with Serge and his family. I greet them, including Natalie, and we sit down to dinner, which consists of still-bloody hamburger patties and fries. It tasted good, but for those of you who really know me, I hate bloody meat! During the meal, Natalie’s boyfriend joins us and right after the meal, he and Natalie leave the table because Natalie has to study for her driving test, which happens to be tomorrow. Mickel and I stay with Serge and his wife, who serve us dessert and coffee (which makes Mickel very happy). We talk about Brittany and his house there and Serge gets out a book with pictures of Brittany. I talk about wanting to go there and also to Normandy (which is just north of Brittany), Mont-Saint-Michel, going to Normandy beach and tasting fresh made calvados (apple liqueur, known to that region). Serge then offers me some very nice calvados that he has at home. I added it to my coffee, which gives it a nice taste. After finishing our coffee, Serge gives us each a French shot glass (much larger than American ones) and gives us straight calvados to drink. It was very strong, compared to when I had it in my coffee, but it tastes good and felt warm as it went down my throat. Serge offered to take us to Brittany for a vacation with him and his family. He even offered to take me to the places I have asked to go visit. He is a nice guy. The subject changes to music and I retrieved my laptop, because of course, I have some well-known French music we’ve been discussing. Serge is impressed with my music collection. It was getting late, so Mickel and I prepared to leave. As I went to shake Serge’s hand, he took it but instead kissed my hand, like a gentleman with a lady. Of course, I smiled (and probably blushed) and we went into our apartment. I’m lucky to have such nice neighbors!

No comments: