Sunday, November 18, 2007

Just Because It Sounds Exciting Doesn't Necessarily Mean It Is...

6 Octobre 2007

Today is Nuit Blanche! It’s the night where everyone in Paris stays out late, the metro doesn’t close and everyone parties! Firstly, my lovely bank card has arrived and now I can use it, because I’m getting paid at the end of the month and my debits don’t come out until the 5th of the following month! During the day, Liz and I got together to meet with some of the assistants from her département to go to the Père Lachaise, one of the largest cemeteries in Paris and it features many famous people, like Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf, Jim Morrison, Charles Baudelaire, Balzac, etc. I had been in contact with Pierre, a former student from Miami, to see about meeting up. He agreed to meet Liz and me at the Père Lachaise early and to walk around with us. However, true to his French self, he ended up canceling until later in the afternoon, when we were to meet him for a drink. Since we arrived early, Liz and I walked around the neighborhood, which honestly wasn’t much to look at, only there was a market going on, which we decided to check out. On our way into the market, an elderly man (with a cane!) told me I looked pretty and asked me if I wanted to join him for a cup of coffee. I told him thank you but no; Liz just laughed. Throughout the market, there were so many things to look at and smell and taste. Flowers, cheese, fish, bread, meat, vegetables, fruits, clothes, etc. Some of the (younger) vendors started cat-calling to Liz and me, but we just ignored and kept moving with the flow of the buyers. Eventually, we made our way back to the entrance to the Père Lachaise, where we meet up with Lorna and Rachel. We ended up walking around the cemetery (felt more like getting lost) for a couple of hours. Eventually, we found the graves of Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf and Jim Morrison. The Père Lachaise is beautiful; there are many gardens and flowers everywhere. The ironic thing is that couples sit in the cemetery and make out. Not exactly the most romantic place to be, I’d have to say. We left Liz’s fellow assistants because we had an appointment to meet Pierre at Pigalle, which is right near Montmartre. Liz and I wanted to buy scarfs before meeting up with him, so we made the hike up through the hills until we found the shop we had visited previously. We purchased what we wanted and then went back to the metro station where Pierre was waiting for us, right on time. (Thank goodness!) We had a nice drink with him and we reminisced about the “good old Miami days”. Of course, I teased him about anything like I always do. It was just nice to see one of my French friends in Paris. We parted in the metro, with a promise to get together again soon. Liz and I headed home so that we could get ready for Nuit Blanche! I wanted to wear a dress (I was in a dressy mood) but I opted for jeans and my striped tube top and my new scarf. I also opted to wear my high heels. What a dumb decision when you’re walking in Paris. It was somewhat cold that night, but we managed to find a nice restaurant not too far from the Centre Pompidou. Liz had a calzone and tiramisu; Mickel had a seafood appetizer, rabbit as his dinner, chocolate cake and coffee!!; I had small raviolis in a cream sauce for an appetizer, home cut french fry wedges (they were so good!) and chocolate ice cream. Afterwards, we headed towards the Louvre, where there was a lot of commotion. Apparently, France had won their game of rugby and everyone was in the street yelling or singing. Many cars and scooters were honking their horns and displaying the French flag. It was certainly crazy. We ended up meeting again with Lorna and we all walked to the Eiffel Tower, which was lit up, but every 5 mins before and after the hour, the Eiffel Tower has a light display that makes it look glittery/sparkly. We stayed at the Eiffel Tower until people started leaving and we tried to take the RER but it was closed, so we had to walk to Bir Hakim to take the metro home. I had to take off my shoes because my poor feet were killing me! I decided that I was disappointed with the Nuit Blanche because supposedly there were supposed to be great parties going on, but nothing much seemed to be different or we just couldn’t find them. The Louvre was open late to people, but it was so crowded that it was worth trying to enter. I was glad when Mickel and I were home. After making some calls to his family in Costa Rica, he and I talked until late in the morning.

No comments: